Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EQ2 Packet Sniffer

Re: EQ2 Packet Sniffer

Ghosts are mobs and npcs?
    Mob = Mobile Object
    Ghost = EverQuest2 term for client side representation of a Mob

Ghosts include NPCs, Players, ?s, and Resource nodes. There is a separate grouping called SignWidget for things like mariners bells, shop signs, etc.

So a ghost create command is sent everytime an NPC needs to appear on the client screen?
    Yes, whenever any ghost comes into range the server sends an EqCreateGhostCmd packet to the client. While the ghost is within range of the player, the server sends EqUpdateGhostCmd packets for that ghost. When it leaves your little area, the server sends an EqDestroyGhostCmd packet.

I dont think that zone geometry impacts it at all, but It does appear to only give you new ghosts within your view frustum. Im not 100% on this, just looks that way from what I have seen.

Some other ghosts are sent to you regardless of range, for example your group mates
    This is accurate, you will get ghost info for anyone in your group regardless of where they are in the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Acid1789
    Ghosts include NPCs, Players, ?s, and Resource nodes.
    Crafting stations are also ghosts - they get created with the EqCreateGhostCmd command. Only reason I know this is because I've been working on the tradeskill packets a bit in the tradeskill instances :-).

but It does appear to only give you new ghosts within your view frustum.
    This is very possible, I believe a while back the original EQ implemented something they were calling the Umbra Engine, which was a D3D command set that allowed for only rendering things in your view, instead of having to render everything when the zone loaded.

This same type of technology can be used to detect 3d position and direction and determine the need to create ghosts, or not.

Rendering is one thing (and they would be insane to not be doing frustum culling). But loading is another issue.

Doesnt make sence for them to only load whats in view. You wouldnt know about anything that came up behind you. So if you spun around, it would stall while loading the new mobs.

After looking at it a bit closer, I think it may be some sort of occlusion culling with a colission mesh. But thats still just a guess.

I for one appreciate all of the work that you are putting into EQ2 tools. Just a suggestion for ya - if you wanted, you could use the maps from maps.eq2interface.com as a backdrop for EverSpy2. It would probably make it a bit more useful for you and your buds - just my 2 cents.
    Oh - and sorry for the e-mails I sent ya before - I misread something on your website.

I put up a new version of EverDump. Works with the latest patch. Also I added code to grab the key address from the exe every time you start everdump. It now works if you start from the launcher. Also works if you start it after eq2.

Beta for EverSpy2 has begun All the people who have donated to my project should have gotten a copy. Please let me know if I missed anyone (and yes I keep records).

http://www.pptournament.m6.net/eq2

Posted an updated version of EverDump to work with todays patch (if anyone still cares). There are a few other minor changes to the stability of the SonyProtocolLib as well.

There is a new EverSpy2 release available too for those on the beta list (check your mailbox).

http://www.pptournament.m6.net/eq2
    Last edited by Acid1789; 03-22-2005 at 12:57 PM.

Excellent, looking at my email now.... hmmm nothing but thats ok im sure it will come soon

Choof

<- checks email...nothing yet.

It was brought to my attention today that the last two releases of EverDump didnt have the SonyProtocolLib source in them. I put a new version up today that includes the SonyProtocolLib again.

Also a few people have asked me about specific packet structures. I havnt spent alot of time figuirng out individual packets yet, there are only a handful that Im using for EverSpy2. I will add some sort of documentation for the packets I have already reversed in the next couple of days. Hopefully, those of you who are intersted in packet formats will submit some of your findings

Will EverSpy2 eventually be available freely?

No, EverSpy2 is commercial software. It will be available for purchace and there will be an optional subscription fee for the community mode features.

Quote Originally Posted by Acid1789
    No, EverSpy2 is commercial software. It will be available for purchace and there will be an optional subscription fee for the community mode features.
    You take credit cards? I want. If you need a beta tester let me know, also if you need a dumpsite, or download mirror let me know

he has a paypal donation on that site he has up there.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyis3l33t
    he has a paypal donation on that site he has up there.
    I did donate through that link yesterday, so hopefully I can try out the beta product

Thread Information