PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ 6.4.0 Release Candidate 1 Available

cn187
07-17-2024, 06:05 PM
As noted in the News forum, 6.4.0-rc1 is available for testing.

Bug reports and feedback highly appreciated!

Version 6.4.0-rc1 - This version is a release candidate for the next minor upgrade to ShowEQ. It includes fixes and features that will be added to ShowEQ in the near future.
It's expected to be as stable as the regular release, however there may be new bugs not present in the regular release. Testers, bug reports, and feedback are appreciated!

cn187 (07/17/24)
----------------
- Update to version 6.4.0-rc1
- Support for EQ Patch 07/17/24
- Struct and opcode updates (Newby)
- This is a release candidate release for the next minor version
- Fixes:
- Improvements to column sort/reorder/hide behavior
- Fixes for player-controlled external entity detection and updates, and related crash
- Rework packet capture filter to improve reliability of session detection
- Update OP_Consider logic to correctly display con colors and level
- Enable menu options to rename/delete spawnpoints
- Don't auto-select another mob when a targeted corpse decays
- Fixes for formatted messages
- Remove config.sub/config.guess from source and regenerate them on build host
- Enhancements:
- Add option to deselect your target if mob is untargeted
- Allow user to configure map line/location colors
- Allow user to configure PCAP snaplen and ring buffer size
- PCAP will now attempt to detect dropped packets and emit a warning with possible fixes
- New UI for adding and editing spawn filters
- Allow using info/equipment fields in spawn filter matches

The rc1 release is available in the files section of SourceForge at https://sourceforge.net/projects/seq/files/ShowEQ/ShowEQ-6.4.0-rc1/. It's not available from the SVN repository at this time.

Installation (tarball):

$ tar xjvf showeq-6.4.0-rc1.tar.bz2
$ cd showeq-6.4.0-rc1
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

Loki
07-17-2024, 08:30 PM
Nice - just got it running.

haikus
07-18-2024, 10:57 AM
When I launch, everything works properly but after a minute or 2 the screen freezes.

I cannot interact with the UI at all, nothing new comes through the console either. Only way to stop it is to ctrl+c in the console.

Loki
07-18-2024, 11:16 AM
During my 2 hours session last night, it was good, it seems more responsive than 6.3 - i will have to alternate between 6.3 and 6.4 to see the difference. CPU was doing anywhere from 5% to 30% - mostly 10%.

I'm still using the mini PC running Debian with quad core Celeron 1.6ghz and 8GB of RAM.

haikus
07-18-2024, 11:38 AM
I don't have much experience with qt. Is there any easy way to jump back and forth between qt4 and qt5? I'll test with qt5 if so and see if that's the difference.

cn187
07-18-2024, 11:42 AM
When I launch, everything works properly but after a minute or 2 the screen freezes.

I cannot interact with the UI at all, nothing new comes through the console either. Only way to stop it is to ctrl+c in the console.

After work, I'll spin up a VM with Qt4 and see if I can reproduce it. What distro are you running?

Also, if you can post the console log, that may or may not have clues. (be sure to redact anything that might identify you).

cn187
07-18-2024, 11:44 AM
I don't have much experience with qt. Is there any easy way to jump back and forth between qt4 and qt5? I'll test with qt5 if so and see if that's the difference.

Assuming you have them both installed, there are some configure flags you can pass to tell it where to find the Qt version you want to use. I don't remember what they all are off the top of my head, but run ./configure --help and it will list them (there's a lot of help output though, so you'll have to scroll through till you find it). Your distro may also have a way of setting the "default" Qt to use. If it does, then you could use that instead of the configure flags.

cn187
07-18-2024, 11:46 AM
During my 2 hours session last night, it was good, it seems more responsive than 6.3 - i will have to alternate between 6.3 and 6.4 to see the difference. CPU was doing anywhere from 5% to 30% - mostly 10%.

I'm still using the mini PC running Debian with quad core Celeron 1.6ghz and 8GB of RAM.

I fixed up some of the sorting stuff, but that shouldn't have too much impact on performance. The capture changes should mean the packets should be getting processed slightly faster, but the difference should be imperceptible ( a few milliseconds ).

Loki
07-18-2024, 05:24 PM
I've been using QT5 for almost a year with 6.3 and haven't had a single issue. It came default with Debian Bookworm.

cn187
07-18-2024, 05:40 PM
I should switch Qt5 to be default, and only use 4 if 5 isn't available. Not sure if I'll go ahead and do that for 6.4, or wait for 6.5.

cn187
07-18-2024, 07:57 PM

I was able to reproduce this on my debian 10 VM with Qt4. I should have a fix for you tonight or early tomorrow.

cn187
07-18-2024, 09:07 PM

OK, try the attached patch. I think it should solve your problem.

To apply it -

cd showeq-6.4.0-rc1
patch -p1 < /path/to/where/you/saved/qt4_regex_fix.txt
make && make install

I'll try to push a new rc tarball tomorrow.

kimmel
07-19-2024, 01:38 PM
I should switch Qt5 to be default, and only use 4 if 5 isn't available. Not sure if I'll go ahead and do that for 6.4, or wait for 6.5.

I tried RC1 before I saw RC2 out, I was having the same freezing problem after only maybe 10 secs. I'm on Mint 19.3 and if I remember right QT4, is there a different distro combo that is recommended these days with QT5 out of the box?

cn187
07-19-2024, 03:49 PM
RC2 fixes the Qt4 issue, so if you don't want to upgrade, switching to RC2 should get you going.

If you want to upgrade, then really any recent distro should include Qt5. Ubuntu 20.04 does, so any Ubuntu or Ubuntu-derivative newer than that. Debian 10 or newer. Rocky 9 (for sure, maybe 8 too?) or newer. I think most distros are still shipping both Qt5 and Qt6.

kimmel
07-19-2024, 06:30 PM
Ah I guess I tried way too new, I did 24.04 and it was complaining about Wayland

cn187
07-19-2024, 07:29 PM
Ah, yes. I haven't done any testing under wayland at all. I've heard mixed things about Qt5's support for it, but Qt6 is supposed to support it well. I'm hoping to do a fair amount of testing under wayland in preparation for moving to Qt6.

Using XWayland *may* work for ShowEQ but I haven't tried it.

Or if you really want to play guinea pig, you could try it under Wayland proper. You'll need to have whatever package provides the wayland platform plugin(s) but you can specify what platform driver to use when running ShowEQ by setting the QT_QPA_PLATFORM environment variable.

Loki
07-20-2024, 09:44 AM
Ew Wayland.

O:)